Thursday 21 February 2008

using a blog as a piece of work? the small world experiment


coming from my interests in devising work using participants material, this blog about the journey of jigsaw pieces through sending out to many different people got me thinking about the blog as a piece of work in itself or as a means to generate material to be used within a performance. however it doesn't seem to be that well used- how do you generate interest- what's in it for the participants? exchange of some sort, crediting? dunno, needs more thought.....bartering? aha....

those champions of nrla uninvited guests, used emailing out to liveart mailing list calling for song dedications to be used in their performance, telling through typing, the story about it's connection to a loved one, (with those email participants then present in the resultant performance.) this got me thinking about how to develop a relationship with participants, in sourcing/generating the participants material for the performance/artwork, and then the methods employed to re-tell it- live or mediated experience? me or them or others re-telling?

the small world blog allows for multiple and public audiences rather than the possibility of an email remaining one-on-one although of course it can be multiple but not in this way published online, allowing for comments, dialogue publicly, potentially keeping things fluid in the project, exchanging ideas and developing new possibilities.

The other consideration with public/private is the way that in telling personal story via email it loses the intimacy of the liveness- the physical closeness and use of voice effecting the reception; whispering, shouting etc, and therefore relies on someone else's interpretation or indeed their retelling may generate an altogether different reading.(thinking back here to group project where people played back my skiing accident story and it felt totally removed of the personality from it as it was me, my story.....)
the other thing i quite like is the use of a small box with hidden contents, the expectation of the exterior for its unexpected contents...judging a book by its cover and all....

have just set up a blog for the crystal palace artists collective i am part of, as a space for sharing, collaborating, networking, posting events, who knows....maybe this could be an interesting space for participatory developments...

1 comment:

Mz. Noodle said...

Hello,

Not totally related, but I think exploring the performative qualities of a blog is really interesting.

I originally set up a live journal as a performance piece. For years, my public livejournal was Mistress Hellena, goth poet. All I did was write really bad goth poetry in it. I joined groups of goth poets in hopes that they'd catch on, but it mostly became a point of comedy for my friends. I kept it going for two or three years. It's still there, but I use it more conventionally these days.

The other thing I found interesting about the live journal community is this whole public/private thing. It's basically plugged as a journal, which is private, but it's quite clear that most people write with an audience in mind (aside from themselves.)

As I said, not 100% relevant, just wanted to say "yeah! cool! explore it!"